Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Starting the Second Trimester

Dear Baby,

So the first trimester is coming to a close. This is a good thing. As you will undoubtedly find out one day, the first trimester is the riskiest for a growing fetus such as yourself. Now that you are moving into trimester number two, we can worry a little less and simply be excited. There are going to be some changes going on that I think it is appropriate for you to know about.

First, you are currently about 3 inches long (from the top of your tiny head to the bottom of your tiny bum). By the time that you are born, you are going to be about 20 inches long from head to toe. This is going to require a little more room in your mom's belly. Luckily...

Hotel Uterus is a magical place. As you grow, your room grows with you! In fact, it is magical for many reasons! If you are hungry, you are fed directly through you bellybutton, while someone else does the chewing work. Seriously efficient. Also, you don't have to breathe yet (and the rest of us are using out lungs, like suckers). You are continuously surrounded by an ever constant temperature controlled environment, specifically designed to keep you at a perfectly comfortable temperature. At the same time, your mom complains that it's cold when the temperature in the house drops by 1 degree Celsius. I'm telling you kid, you have it made.

While your hotel room (and you) get bigger, this is going to put some pressure on mom's tummy. She is pretty concerned about getting stretch marks. It's going to help her make room for you at a slow and steady pace. You seem to have fairly good control over her appetite right now, so just keep in mind that she doesn't want to gain TOO much weight all at once. So far so good. Just try to keep things on the same track.

My friend Amelia recently had a baby (Maybe you've gotten to meet him...his name is Freddie). Freddie recently had......and accident. The lesson that I learned from this is one that I think it is important for you to know too. Pictures of fecal matter of any sort are not necessarily the most appealing to the eye. It may not be a bad idea to keep pictures of fecal matter to yourself. If you don't know what fecal matter is.....it might be better that way.

I'm now going to bed and I'm going to try to not have nightmares.

Love, Dad

4 comments:

  1. Wow... I learned a lot of things. Thanks~~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nico. All I'm trying to do is prepare you for the inevitable. Also, it's really one of those situations where you can laugh or cry. We chose to laugh and take pictures. Also, my blog is what keeps my parents up-to-date with Freddie. Would you have me deny them pictures of their only grandchild?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww... I bet your baby DID meet Freddie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait... you meant your baby met freddy by the time it reads this... well... I still think they were already bff's before..

    ReplyDelete